This page contains the list of topics to be addressed in this Computer Q&A course. The page will be updated weekly to reflect the details of the next session. See details of the Term 2 version of this course here.
To request a topic, please email me at the address used to provide the Zoom link.
|Next session (time permitting)|
1a. Update “Tuesday” – 2021-09 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 20H2 for x64-based Systems (KB5005565).
1b. Apple iOS updates – 14.8 for iPhone and iPad, 7.6.2 for Apple Watch, also versions for Macs
2. Which USB plugs does my computer have?, USB types and speeds
3. OneDrive (Microsoft Cloud storage) is removed if inactive – What is OneDrive? How does it compare with Google Drive, Dropbox and other cloud services, How much does it cost? How do you keep it active?
4. How to create a password protected file / folder in Windows 10
5. Accessing hotmail on your iPad – No account showing in Mail settings
6. What uses data on your phone? Why do the ISPs (phone providers) advertise large amounts of data per month when we only use a small amount?
7. Improving the performance of your old computer
|Future sessions|| |
# Facebook security summary
# Moving from a shared Apple ID to a separate one (family sharing?)
# accessing hotmail through a browser on an iPad
# Your Microsoft account and registering your version of Windows
# Disposing of an old computer – how to wipe the hard drive
# How do you get videos into Google photos?
# reading an image backup in Windows backup
# Macrium Reflect recovery drive
more to come …
Full list of topics
Intro to Q&A sessions – where to find the topics to be discussed.
Check you can resize windows while using Zoom.
Screen sharing on Zoom.
‘Update Tuesday’ was yesterday (it’s Wednesday in Australia)
Topics we’ve talked about in Term 2.
1. Quick review of Zoom settings – follow up on week 1
2. If/when to upgrade your anti-virus software – or pay your subscription
3. Setting up Facebook and joining a group, – important to set up properly due to security and privacy concerns (https://u3anunawading.com.au/learning-online/getting-started-with-facebook/)
4. Blocking an iPhone when it’s lost
5. Managing annoying emails – do you mark as spam, unsubscribe from emails or remove the app completely?
6. Quick review of backing up.
1. User privileges (https://www.groovypost.com/howto/create-manage-user-account-privileges-windows-10/)
1b. How to convert your Admin level account to a ‘normal’ user account. (https://www.groovypost.com/howto/create-manage-user-account-privileges-windows-10/, https://u3anunawading.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2021/07/User-privileges.pdf)
2. Transferring passwords to BitWarden. (https://help.bitwarden.com/article/import-from-lastpass/)
3a. Printing a pdf with very small print in a readable form.
3b. Emailing scanned documents – image vs pdf format, resizing images, sharing a link in cloud storage such as Dropbox
5. VPNs – do you need one, what do they do?
6. Ensuring Bitdefender starts when you start Windows
1. Dealing with Spam email
2. Any Android security app is better than Google Play Protect
4. mirror image the zoom class from the Ipad or Iphone to the smart TV – is it the same as mirroring image/ airdrop to the TV from Youtube?
5. How to put the total in an Excel sheet at the bottom as a sum and also put them on the top of the page
6. Transferring passwords to BitWarden. (https://help.bitwarden.com/article/import-from-lastpass/)
1. More on Spam email and ‘follow up’ reminders
2. Gmail settings – we saw some last week but let’s look at a few more useful ones
3. Filling out and signing a pdf …
3b. iPhone scanner apps
4. Want an alternative to an expensive piece of software? Try AlternativeTo
5. The Internet Archive
1. When did you last update your Zoom client? version 5.7.5 is the current version. Download the latest version here.
2. Email – how can you tell if an email is a scam? Gmail settings – we saw some last week but let’s look at a few more useful ones. Nudges – some examples
2b. Multiple Gmail addresses, Disposable Gmail addresses
3c. View MS Word files (free) without MS Word
4. When turning on a Lenovo tablet (Android?), there is a keycode I use but once I get through, all my apps are free to view eg. Gmail, and all the Google Apps, Facebook, etc. How can I have an individual password attached for each App?
5. Want an alternative to an expensive piece of software? Try AlternativeTo
6. The Internet Archive – an Australian-specific alternative is Trove
2. Making a Guest account in Windows 10
3. Browser security –What is ‘sandboxing’? What does it mean that by using Chrome Google tracks your searches and visits-BIGTIME?
4. What is Home Wireless Broadband? How can you check your home connection speed and what speeds should you be getting? Vodaphone’s 5G offering
5. What is “wifi calling“?
6. What iPad to buy – comparing models, how much space do you need on your iPad (you can’t add it later, but …)? Do you need cellular/mobile (you can’t add it later, but …)? What is ProMotion?
8. Putting a background on a video
1. More about Spam – an apology from Hyundai, a new phishing attack hiding in the URL of a link, and one hiding in a Captcha
2. VPNs – do you need one, what do they do?
3. Putting a background on Zoom or a video
4. Backing up your old iPad (including photos) to move to a new iPad
5 Making a Guest account in Windows 10
1. More about Spam – the phishing attack hiding in the URL of a link
2. Putting a background on a video – some tools – Kapwing, Movavi / iMovie
2b Zoom backgrounds on iPads
3. Buying a USB stick – how long will it last?
4. Which USB plugs does my computer have?
5. Why do some links to class notes expire?
6. Why can’t I access my email on my iPad (specific question)
Add your request
U3A Nunawading members who are enrolled in 2021 Term 3 Computer Q&A sessions (21COM313) can request topics to be discussed during class. Please email your questions to the address used to provide the Zoom link for the class.