Dance teacher Julie Ann Minaai in action
- We are offering an exciting new creative movement class starting shortly and we still have vacancies in a range of current classes.
- For your convenience, you can now request to withdraw from any of your classes online instead of having to do it at the office.
- Unfortunately, we have received a number of reports recently from members who have tested positive to Covid-19. Please do not come to the Hub if you are feeling at all unwell even if you haven’t had a positive test result.
Creative movement dance class
22DAN012 is filling up fast and will be run as a workshop over two weeks on Mondays 23 and 30 May from 12.45 – 1.45. If there are enough members who wish to continue following the two weeks, the class will extend to the end of the term. The Leader Julie is a dance artist who has worked and toured internationally. She believes dance is for everyone and everyone can dance. Our feature photo is Julie in action, but we don’t expect you to be able to do this after two weeks of class!
Hear ye, hear ye! Lawn bowlers wanted!
22EXES03: Lawn Bowls Introduction has now reopened for enrolment. Being a single term course, members who participated in Term 1 have now either graduated to membership of the Bowling Club or have opted to pursue alternative courses.
We invite anyone with an interest in the royal and ancient game of skill and fellowship to consider coming to the Blackburn North Bowling Club and discover the joys of bowling. See you on the green.
Additional class vacancies
New Term 2 class 22EXEM02 Feldenkrais still has vacancies if you would like to join.
The following classes also have vacancies:
- 22 DAN006 Ballroom Dancing 4 (Brush up on your skills class)
- 22GAM015 Scrabble
Online class withdrawals
Did you know you can now request withdrawal from a class online? This is the best way to submit a withdrawal request to Course Administration. Simply:
- Log in to UMAS for Members using your member number and password: https://u3anunawading.com.au/members/
- Select My Enrolments from the left hand menu
- Scroll down past Membership Subscriptions to Enrolments to see your list of classes
- To the right hand side of each class you will see a “Request Removal” box. Click on this box to request withdrawal:
- A confirmation box similar to this will appear
- Click on Submit.
Course Administration will receive notification from the system and action the request, usually within 48 hours. You and the Class Leader will receive a confirmation email once the withdrawal has been actioned.
U3A Network Science Project
U3A Nunawading Class Leader Christina Hart, who runs our Carbon Dating and other Atomic Stories Class, has joined the Network Victoria group of science Class Leaders to explore how more science courses could be made available to U3As across the state. Following is her report on the current project:
“The intention is to develop one or more course guides and other resources that might support a Class Leader who did not have a science background, to present a science course at their local U3A.
Class Leaders who pick up the courses would be supported through a mentoring program. Cathy Beesey, who has professional experience in curriculum support, has volunteered to coordinate the project.
The development of the first course guide, Science for Grandparents, contributed by Janine Adams from U3A Ararat, is well underway and will be available later in the year. Janine’s first session revolves around observations of, and experiments with, candle flames. The engaging activities will need to be set up by the Class Leader, but they will promote lots of discussion among participants, discussions in which the Class Leader will be an equal participant.”
Successful hybrid meeting at the Hub
In April, we hosted a major hybrid meeting organised by the UMAS Support Team. About 35 people attended in person, and about the same number attended online. The UMAS Support Team is headed by Kevin Whelan (Whittlesea), ably assisted by Andrew Lockwood (Nunawading) and members from U3As Kyneton and Whittlesea. This was a great opportunity for not only the other users of UMAS but also an opportunity for U3A Nunawading to show other U3As our new home and promote the value of a good working relationship with your local council.
Elsie Mutton OAM